31 May 2009

Jaunty: Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 (NV18) I/O Error Solved!

Recently installed Jaunty into my home PC (simple 2.4/80/1/128), succeeded, but the nvidia card needed some specific driver, if not I ended with plain 800x600 generic vesa mode. So, simply installed via synaptic the nvidia-96* packages. Rebooted, still no luck. It reported that /dev/nvidia0 couldn't be opened, because some input/output error. Googled, there were bunch of pages, but no pointer to some working solution. Visited ubuntuforum either, still no clue. Commonly just stated it's related with permission, user group, udev, etc. But no. I was root at that time, so no permission issue here.

Googled again, until I hit this link, and all was set correctly. The only difference is boot parameter: noapic acpi=off pci=noacpi. The xorg.conf itself doesn't change too much, except replace nv or add a line contains driver "nvidia".

0 tanggapan: